Remember when we were learning to spell principle and principal and we were supposed to remember the difference because the principal was our "pal"? I remember not feeling convinced. However, my children have had the privilege of having Rosemarie Smith as their principal for the last ten years. This year Miss Smith was awarded the Building On Excellence Award by the Provo School District Foundation. She was asked to choose one student to accompany her to an awards banquet at the Country Club and pay tribute. She choose Abbie.
Abby was so honored that Miss Smith chose her! We carefully outlined what she wanted to say. I'll include it here as summarizing simply would not be sufficient. "My name is Abby Ferrin and I would like to try and explain just how extraordinary a person and principal Rosemarie Smith is. I am very honored to be here today to pay tribute to her. I have been attending Amelia Earhart Elementary since I was about six months old. (That got a great laugh from the crowd!) Before I could attend as a student, I would go with my mom to help in my brother's and sister's classes, and I would go to PTA Meetings. Therefore, I saw her a lot. I do not remember everything, but I do remember things from the past few years. My mother told me that whenever we went to the school, Miss Smith would look me in the eye and say, "Hello Abby, I can't wait for you to start school here!" She always viewed me as just me, and not someone's younger sister. She has helped me and my family through many hard things.
When I was in kindergarten. I thought that Coach Kelly, our gym teacher was scary because he's so tall and I was so little. To fix that, Miss Smith set up a time that me and Coach Kelly could get to know each other. Some of the kids at Amelia Earhart are scared to talk to Miss Smith, but I have always been comfortable talking to her and being with her. I love her so much and I hope we never lose contact with each other." This had been especially meaningful as Miss Smith is retiring this year. What a remarkable woman she is and has been for all of my children. Never fear, we have her phone number, cell number and address....we won't lose her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey Denise,
It's Felila Montoya here. I just finally put in the link to your blog and have enjoyed reading up on your family and seeing your pictures and all. It's great. I have a blog now that James is deployed and I think I sent you an invite. It's a security locked blog so you'll need to sign in and all. Anyhow, looks like things are great with your family. Hopefully I'll keep in better touch, at least by checking your blog.
Aloha!
Post a Comment