Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Squidget went to live with Amelia

The bunny cage is empty. Well, not really, but the bunny is gone; we had to bury him. It looks like a dog got into his cage and bit and broke his back. Squidget probably thought it was there to play with him! I've know for a very long time that his death would be traumatic. Sguidget was not just a bunny, really. You have to understand that I am not a pet person. Especially not a furry pet! A critter has to have some exceptional trait for me to even care, let alone be attached! Squidge was definitely exceptional! If you look closely he is laying in Claire's lap and she's rubbing his tummy. Um, in case you didn't know, rabbits never lay on their back and if their feet are not supported at all times they scratch and paw like crazy. Not Squidget. We've had him since he was about six weeks old. I'm sure in the beginning he was more typical but over the years he's mellowed to the point that I sometimes wondered if he'd forgotten all those innate instincts. Have we had him three or four years? I'm not sure but it's been a long time.
He wasn't demanding, though he would run to the fence when we came out the back door just in case we needed a reminder that he was there if we wanted to play :-) The only maintenance he had to have was, well, he had this little problem, his front teeth grew and grew. They'd get so long they sometimes looked a little unicornish. Lane became a pro at cutting his teeth. One of us would hold him, holding his jaw tightly while Lane snipped them down with his little blue cutters. Side thought...These cutters are so perfect for rabbit teeth cutting...I wonder what he really bought them for. They've been in his tool collection for as long I've known him. Hmmmm. He did not like to have his teeth cut. I can imagine it felt like a horrible tooth ache. There were always lots of snuggles after a cutting session. He also had one paw that was slightly deformed. The more relaxed he was, the further that little paw drifted out from underneath him.


Squidget had roommates. Two box turtles. One of the turtles never came out of hibernation this spring so we're down to one. Turtles eat bugs, fruits and vegetables. I think it was last summer that I took a banana out to the turtles and Squidge pushed his way to the banana and gobbled it up. Bananas?!? Weird! (He never tried to eat their worms or grasshoppers though.) Since then we've tried other things. He liked pears, plums, apples and grapes too. Not too big on vegetables. Funny bunny.
Last weekend was UEA weekend so we'd had more down time than usual, so nice. We spent a lot of time with Squidget cuddling, playing with him. Even the last time we cut his teeth, he just laid in my lap very patiently. I don't know what happens to pets in the eternal scheme of things but I know this for sure. If it's an option, we want Squidget to be part of our eternal family....and Wizzard too. As Stephen said, "That's a bunny that has filled the measure of his creation." Lucky us to have had his love.

No comments: